Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tau Kamata

Today is my very first day of work! It is strange to think I will actually have a regular schedule soon. I've been getting quite used to my days of reading, singing, and napping.

This first week is just a planning week, so all the staff at my school will be meeting to do introductions, figure out schedules, and work within their respective departments. I will be working with my co-teacher, Moala, to start planning at the catering and hospitality school. Next week will be orientation and cleaning with the students, and then classes will actually begin.

Last night was a first for me in Tonga...I spent the night without electricity. For some unknown reason, the power at my house cut out while all my neighbors still had their power. It was kind of enjoyable laying in bed reading by candlelight until I saw a giant spider on my wall. Hopefully it gets fixed today because one night of giant spiders in the dark was enough for me!

Like I said earlier, my past several weeks I have been doing a lot of reading, choir rehearsals, napping, and the like. I have also been to several feasts, a few picnics, read scripture in church (in Tongan!), and served kava. I am slowly learning how to use my gas oven. I have made a couple decent banana breads and a yummy chocolate cake with peanut butter icing.

I hope everyone is staying nice and warm at home...drink some hot chocolate and have a snowball fight for me!

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you...as you begin teaching and as you battle the giant spiders in the dark (hopefully never again)!

    Love you.
    Aunt Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make banana bread so we can eat the same thing. Did you get the spider? I hope so. Buy more bug spray. Have a great week getting ready for school. Let us know if you want anything sent. Miss you bunches. Mom

    ReplyDelete